Let’s get honest here, we all wish to get smooth and shiny hair that is often advertised in hair products, don’t we? And we often tend to envy those girls who actually have it. But, getting those healthy locks isn’t that hard at all—it just needs little time and care from your part.
I personally have had thick, rough, and unmanageable wavy hair, which is not a very great combination of hair textures but it is what it is. So, to manage the situation, I started using hot oil treatment once every week, and to my surprise, the texture, the quality, and the shine it brought was beyond my expectations.
First things first, you gotta be humble to your hair during the process as there won’t be a miracle after the very first wash. However, you’ll be able to see the difference from the very first wash. Hot oil treatments work by sealing the hair cuticle, which helps in protecting and strengthening your hair from the root.
You can opt for any natural oil that you like. I preferably use coconut oil as it has lots of nourishing properties and is easily available all over India. You can choose from olive oil, almond oil, jojoba oil or castor oil.
You can certainly get a hot oil treatment done at a salon, but here’s how you can do it in the comforts of your home:
- It works best on clean hair so start by washing your hair.
- Heat the oil in a microwave.
- Section your hair in four parts for easy application of oil.
- Now apply the oil thoroughly over your damp scalp and gently massage over it.
- Make sure the oil isn’t too hot for your scalp before applying. This helps the oil to penetrate deep into the hair cuticles.
- Then cover your hair for at least 30 minutes with a shower cap or a towel.
- After 30 minutes, rinse your hair with a mild shampoo and conditioner—you can skip the conditioner if you want.
- You can repeat this treatment twice a week if you have extremely dry and unmanageable hair.
When you’re covering your hair with a shower cap or towel, it acts as steaming which helps the oil to penetrate deep by opening up the hair follicles and pores on the scalp. It not only nourishes your hair but also has the following benefits:
- The steaming process allows the oil to go deep, which further moisturises your hair and scalp reducing the dryness of hair and scalp
- With the hair getting proper nourishment, it gets stronger and there’s a reduction in hair fall.
- You’ll notice fewer split-ends and extra shine.
- It reduces roughness and frizz as the treatment also acts as a natural conditioner.
- Massaging your scalp after applying the hot oil increases the blood circulation, which is further good for the health of your hair.
So, give your hair the much-needed pampering and in return, you’ll get beautiful tresses. Try this out yourself to get mesmerised by the benefits of hot oil treatment.